Sunday, July 25, 2004

My Mid-Summer Night's Dream

This past Saturday night found me walking across a green hillside...a long row of trees, good friend at my side, in the midst of other footsteps. We all gathered at this wide open space, surrounded by hills, hedged against a stream, far from the main road. The pavillion, a wonderful half-shell of fabric and steel, flanked by the two largest video screens I'd seen, was soon lit from within, while musicians from all over the country, and a few beyond, donned white jackets lifted arms and instruments and the magic began!

What a great concert to start off the week-long Lancaster Music Festival. The two main female performers were stunning. The men, less so; but nevermind. Yeah! for beaded sequin spaghetti-strap dresses, beautiful arms that opened wide to circle pure voices. Let's hear it for "On the Street Where You Live," sung under Midwestern stars, a coolness in the air and stars twinkling next to a half-moon. My friend could tell me all about the real Broadway shows, the famous original cast members... but I was content with this.

The last song accompanied by fabulous fireworks...I'm running out of adjectives. You get the drift. It was great! A great time in a small town with exceptionally talented folk who graced Ohio University-Lancaster's lawn for one special night. A dreamy night to me...

3 comments:

J-Birds said...

Heelllloooo!
Haven't seen a post in a while. Hope everything is OK.
Craig

J-Birds said...

Hey,
Hope everything is OK. Either you have quit blogging or, like your sister, you are creating the longest blog entry in history and are waiting until it is finished to post. Miss your insights. - Craig

Janice Phelps Williams said...

Dear J-Birds:
I'm still here! But did take a break to attend to various and assorted some-boring, some-exciting life events! Postings to resume soon!
Janice