Sunday, June 27, 2004

Al Hirschfeld at the NYT

Last night I visited a great little gallery in New York without ever leaving my Ohio home. The New York Times is running a multi-media article on Al Hirschfeld, and just to show you how not-young I am, I still get excited to see video on my computer monitor. My favorite points in this show were a photo of Hirschfeld in his studio, reviewing in detail his wonderful use of line, learning he had tea brought in at 4 pm everyday (when I am famous and 99 years old, I will have that too) and seeing just how wonderfully he captured the essence of some of the 20th century's top performers. I liked it so much, I ordered a book . . . and THIS is why books will not be made extinct by the Internet. The Internet is like the hook. The book is the prize!

No comments: