Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Color, Wonderful Color

Since painting down in Nelsonville with the Ohio Plein Air Society recently, I've been enjoying a rebirth, a resurgence, a revival ... holy smokes a renewal of the joy of ... paint and color and the feel of the canvas. The splash of the brush as it swishes in the water bowl. The bits of veridian and colbalt stuck to the edge of my hand and working its way under my fingernails.

The loss of a sense of time, and the beautiful beautiful autumn colors that perhaps only someone religated to Florida's nonstop tropical light for 17 years can fully appreciate. What is the name of the colors in the tree outside my office window? It's not orange, not yellow-red, not red-yellow... it looks like a cross between a pumpkin and an electric apple. I can't capture it! Darn. Maybe next time.

Yeah for the horses that I saw yesterday galloping down a hillside and around a path-encircled pond. Yeah for the purple, maroon, orange, yellow, red. Yeah to be living in such a beautiful place. Yeah for temperatures that are falling.

I like everything about this season, even the rainy days like today. The sounds (there's a quieting down, like autumn is the "getting ready for bed" time before snow starts).

I learned that the founder of OPAS passed away recently. He left behind a present for me, someone he didn't even know. For me and many others. A great organization that lit a match under my middleaged bottom and propelled me into this wonderful time of creativity.

At night, no "must see tv" c an entice me. I've taken to painting abstract rememberances; there's my feelings about being in NY on 9/11, there's one for my son, there are colors in the wings of my parrot that I wonder if I will ever capture.

Well, I may sound a bit over the top, but I assure you my enthusiasm is genuine. Here's to finding, or refinding, wonderful pasttimes, new friends, and that gorgeous vibrant color in the tree outside my window.

No comments: