Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Return of Bailey


September 11, 2004, saw the return of Bailey to my home in Lancaster. A loving three-year-old Goffin's cockatoo, Bailey had spent the first two years of her life in my home, but had moved with her primary caretaker to Maine the summer of 2003. Due to the needs of hospice patients living in the Maine hospice house, CEDARS, Bailey has returned to her first home and we are so glad to have her back!

So, on Sept. 9, my son, Bryce, and I made a nice, though long, drive to Nashua, New Hampshire for the custody transfer. On the way, we stopped in Niagara Falls; Bryce's first time there. It was gorgeous weather, and both little dogs (Tyler and Jackie) along for the ride enjoyed the park. We stayed overnight in Albany at Red Roof Inn (all hotels in this line take dogs!) and had a great scenic drive Saturday morning through Vermont. Wish I'd had time to stop and paint! After a quick, hello, bird and assorted toys/food/carriers were loaded up and off we went back to Ohio. A whirlwind trip, but I hesitate to book an airline flight for myself, let alone a sensitive bird.

I will only briefly mention the e-bay fiasco with buying her a new cage (if you are in the market for a new cage, query the Yahoo.com african grey parrot group for recommendations and follow their advice, which I unfortunately did not do).

Bailey's best friend, Tyler the Pekingese is happy to have her home and they have resumed their trans-species relationship and the language only they can understand.

No comments: